October Book Review and 1/30
My book selections left me wanting this month. These three books are different than my typical book choices. It's always good to read something a bit different and maybe you will find something you enjoy here!
Book #1
The first book I read this month, “Becoming Mrs. Lewis”, was a recommendation from a friend. Usually recommendations are the way to go but this is one book wasn’t as stellar as I hoped. The story is a complicated journey of friendship and love between C. S. Lewis and an aspiring writer, Joy Gresham. Their story spans two continents until they can finally be together in England. While the book kept me interested as they wrote back and forth and dove into the thin line between friendship and love, it left me bored as well. At times, the book was filled with conversation which seemed difficult to read through and moved slower than I desired. In the end, I cried and was glad I stuck with it and read it but I would be hesitant to recommend this one to a friend!
I give this book 2/5 falafels.
Book #2
I enjoyed this simple read as Max Lucado walked through Phillipians 4:6-7 which states, "Be anxious for nothing but in everything, with prayer and thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace that surpasses all understanding with guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." This book is a practical guide for dealing with anxiety and chaos in life. The chapters helped walked through the verse bit by bit and in very helpful ways. I haven't read a Max Lucado book in a long while but his style of writing is smooth and, at times, funny even in a book that is deep. I would recommend this book to anyone who has or who is dealing with anxiety. The good reminders will keep you interested and engaged.
I give this book 4/5 falafels.
Book #3
This book was SO good. I can't say enough. I started this book on Saturday evening and finished it Tuesday of the same week. While it is an easy read in the style of writing, reading about the truth of sexual abuse and the culture in which creates a lack of accountability and punishment is both sickening and frightening. Rachael Denhollander is the woman who first went public with her story of abuse from a world renowned Olympic doctor, Larry Nassar. Her story gives a glimpse into the struggle of being a surviver of sexual abuse and how it bleeds into everyday parts of life. She also talks about the process of grooming and how, in certain situations, the abuse is overlooked due to status and reputation. This book made me think and made me cry as I read through her account. Don't walk, run to read this book!
Falafel rating: 5/5
Also, everyday in November I'm going to do a post about something I'm thankful for. I know it's a bit cliche but I find myself being thankful for some of the most ordinary things and I think it's good to remember these everyday blessings, because the days are passing and it's easy to forget all that is good! So look for that coming this month.....
Starting with today:
I am thankful for a bit of margin in life that allows me the freedom to enjoy books. I can't remember when the last time I have read lots of books for leisure has been. I know it's just a good season right now for that, with an abundance of books from the book store or borrowed, but it leaves me really thankful!
What are YOU thankful for today?



Comments
Love you!
Dad and Mom