Happy Thanksgiving?
I've been thinking a lot about Thanksgiving this year, being our third year living overseas. What is Thanksgiving anyway? Is it saying a prayer before eating turkey? It is family getting together and watching football in the afternoon? Is it prepping for a big day of Black Friday shopping? Is it just another day off work?
While none of these things are bad, is this what makes it Thanksgiving?
If all these things are stripped away, can we still say with joyful hearts "Happy Thanksgiving"?
I'm still learning how to do this as today is just a normal day for us here, though we are feasting tomorrow and enjoying some American fellowship. But otherwise, the boys have school, I have work this afternoon, we are eating pizza for dinner, the stores close early tomorrow instead of opening early for shoppers, and nothing around us says "Happy Thanksgiving."
Ann Voskamp said it well "Thanksgiving is more than a holiday, it's a lifestyle that God says should be all our days." This is what I desire! I desire to have a lifestyle that thanks God daily for the good gifts He has graciously given to me. It's not always the big gifts but the little, daily gifts I need to be thanking God for.
While I do look forward to a time in the future to be in the United States to celebrate Thanksgiving with all the "traditional" things, I am also thankful for this time in our lives.
Yes, much to be thankful for but not just on this Thanksgiving day but everyday and I choose to live in this Thanksgiving, being aware of the daily gifts, in the coming year ahead!
Truly I say "Happy Thanksgiving" from our side of the world to wherever you find yourself today!
Comments
Love,
S&A