Book Reviews

As the new year is quickly approaching, maybe you are beginning to think about some resolutions that you want to hold to over 2011. If one of your resolutions is to get unhooked from technology and read more, I want to offer you four book reviews of books I have read in the last month or so. Maybe you would enjoy reading one or all of them in the new year!

1. Radical: Taking Back your faith from the American Dream by David Platt- This book will change your prospective on the poor of the world and your role in reaching them with the gospel message of Jesus Christ. The American Dream is all about me, look how I have worked so hard, notice my huge house in the perfect neighborhood, stand in awe of my perfect kids in my perfect vehicle. While having a nice house, great kids and a vehicle isn't wrong, what is wrong he points out in the book is being so comfortable in our situations that we forget there is an entire world surrounding us that is full of need. He definitely isn't saying in the book "Radical" that every believer is supposed to live overseas, but he is saying that we are all called to be on mission and if that means overseas than obey. One part of his book when talking about giving up the American Dream was powerful for me, he writes "We don't need to sell or give away nice clothes, nice cars, nice houses, or surplus possessions because they are inherently bad. They are good in and of themselves. So we don't sell them or give them away because they are sinful. Then why do we sell them or give them away? We sell them and give them away because Christ in us compels us to care for the needy around us." (pg 125-126) This book spoke to me on so many levels and I was overwhelmed at times for days when reading this book. This book is sure to change your life, if you allow God to change your heart. Read it and be amazed!

2. Leota's Garden by Francine Rivers- I typically really enjoy Francine Rivers books. Previous to this book, I had read four of her books and each one was moving fiction. This book was different than the other books from her I had read. It started off slow but quickly gained speed and I couldn't put it down until I was finished. The book is about an elderly woman who has had a rough past, which has lead her son and daughter to be estranged from her. One member of her family reappears to get to know Leota and they develop a beautiful relationship. In an attempt to reconcile the family, will her son and daughter realize their mother's side of the story before it is to late or will they forsake the truth for their perspective? I did not like the ending but I do think it leaves it open for sequel for this book. This is an easy read for sure!

3. Atonement Child by Francine Rivers- Yes, I know I just finished another of her books, but hey it is what our church library has. This book was excellent! This book challenged by views. The premise of the book is a young woman gets pregnant from rape and those around her, who were previously pro-life, are pressuring her to have an abortion. The choices she makes regarding the pregnancy will effect her scholarship to college, her parents marriage and her fiance's love. Will she stand firm in her believes or will she be pressured into having a forced abortion to please those around her? All while a side story develops surrounding her family past. Such a great book by a great author! This book is an easy read as well, but thought provoking.

4. Same Kind of Different As Me by Denver Moore and Ron Hall- I read this book towards the beginning of the year, but it is still a favorite and I think you, my blog readers, would enjoy it. This is a true story about Denver who was a share cropper in the south before becoming homeless on the streets of Ft. Worth, Texas. All the while, Ron is pursuing an MBA to become a rich banker and marry his sweetheart, Deb. Deb becomes involved in a local homeless shelter and drags Ron to the shelter. He goes only to appease Deb but soon forms a remarkable friendship with Denver. This story is a truly moving story. It reinforces the importance one person can make in another person's life. I would recommend this book for every person to read and if you need a last minute gift for Christmas, pick this book up, you won't regret it!

Did you make it through all those words? I hope you did and I hope you pick one of these books up to enjoy and let me know if you did. Also, do you have a favorite book you read this year? Let me know if the comments section!

Comments

Mom J said…
You are a wealth o information! Thanks for the book reviews! See you soon!
Susan J said…
I am working on Her Daughter's Dream by Rivers, it's the sequel to Her Mother's Hope (I think?) Again, Rivers is hard to put down, but I am finding this one a little depressing (only halfway through though)
I got Same Kind of Different for Adam's stocking after you recommended it earlier in the year. I may have to borrow it after he's done (in all my spare time, right?!) :)
Thanks for the reviews and the encouragement to do something other than sit in front of this computer screen hehe :)

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Early Bird

Uncle Nathan, Aunt Heather and Caleb Visit

First Day or School 2025