Dentist or Sales Associate?

Well, I did it... I went to the dentist. I haven't been in about 2 years for various reasons, mainly because I have just put it off. Hap has gone and changed dentists in this 2 year period. He didn't like our other dentist because he said that the dentist talked to him like a 3rd grader. I liked him.

Anyway, I was skeptical of this new dentist because he has sold Hap two different things during his visit. The first item he offered was a $130 Rotodent Toothbrush and the second is some specialized toothpaste that has fluoride in it. Or something like that.

Well, my experience was no different. The hygienist first tried to sell me a new oral cancer screening. It's about $60 and is recommended for people of all ages, even with no risk factors. She talked to be about someone dies every hour of oral cancer, how a tortilla chip can cause oral cancer if it cuts my lips and blah blah blah. Then she started to clean my teeth and tried to sell me the Rotodent. At this point, I was getting annoyed because she was really pushing this Rotodent. Then she offered me a Rx strength mouth rinse to prevent gum disease. After she cleaned my teeth, she tried to sell me another product that they offer,a fluoride treatment that was reduced by 50% for the New Year. How kind!! Then after that she complimented the shade of my teeth and tried to get me to sign up for a Lifetime Teeth Whitening Program. Only a $99 sign up fee and I don't remember the rest. I have a brochure about it. In fact, I have five different brochures about five different things I can buy from my dentist. The dentist himself tried to sell me the teeth whitening Lifetime Program too.

I have never had anything offered to me to purchase at my doctor's office and in a 45 minute period I had five things offered by my dentist. Weird?! I think so!!

On top of it, I have to have a cavity filled. Arrrrrrr...

Back to my normal self tomorrow, only after I have rinsed with my Rx strength mouth rinse!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That sucks! I recommend you get a second opinion before you get a cavity filled. I had a similar experience and was told I have peridontal disease, which I don't. Good luck to you!
Heather P. said…
Sounds like a sales associate dressed up as a dentist to me. I have NEVER had that kind of experience...good story at least -:).
Anonymous said…
That is hilarious!! If you need another dentist, I'd be happy to recommend...
Courtney said…
go have a candy bar and simma :-) I do agree... I think they try and sell you everything... Uhh no my white strips do just fine.. thanks! haha
Becky said…
Don't be hating the hygienist...she only does what the boss asks of her :). But I do agree that does sound like a little much. Good luck with the filling :).
Anonymous said…
Quite and experience at the dentist office. Maybe third time is charm if you find another dentist. Good luck. Love. Mom J