Good.Eats.
The food in Ukraine is somewhat interesting. Though not as strange as other places, like Asia or Africa, it is definately different than I am used to. The food is high in fat content with very little fiber. Apparently they will have more fiber come the summer, but they eat season to season, unlike us here in the States. Luda fixed ALOT of food for us and wanted us to be well fed. I had to tell her I needed a kids portion or otherwise it was way to much and I felt bad not eating it all! Take a peak at some of our meals...
Breakfast anyone? This was some kind of pancake filled with mashed potato and diced up meat, with a green onion to garnish:) All served luke warm.
This she called a meatball, but it definatly was not a meat I had tasted before. It has some rice in it too...
This translated out to "Mushrooms on a Grass Plot" When I first glimpsed at this, I just didn't think I could do it. First of all, I'm not a huge mushroom fan and second of all I am not a fan of mayo. However, their mayo is different than ours, more creamy and like a salad dressing. This was diced boiled eggs, diced chicken, green onions, and potatos layered together covered with mayo and as you can see big ole mushrooms.
However, after my first bite I realized it wasn't so bad, especially on a piece of bread.
Something that is a redeeming quality of their foods is their yummy juices. Ukraine used to make baby food and now they make their own juice. It tastes like fresh squeezed whatever the fruit is. So good!
And of course... when in doubt go to McDonalds. Though they do serve different things, such as salmon wraps and salmon dippers. I'll stick with a cheeseburger thanks!:)
Comments
I think the "meat" thing looked kind of good...
Squatty potty?! No way!!!!!
And i got to the fifth picture in your latest post and thought, "Man, where's a McD's when you need one?!" I promise i did! :)
You are brave. I'm so impressed you tried it all. Your mom's right--Luda's meals look impressive. Not so sure about the mystery meat though... ;) Did you loose ten pounds while you were there?